Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Star Trek takes a giant step backwards

TrekMovie.com is reporting that the new Star Trek movie coming out in 2013 will be converted from 2D to 3D. This is a total disaster. First, Paramount and Bad Robot delay the release from 2012 to 2013. Now, they have totally disrespected the fan base.

I have been watching 3D movies for the last three years. And I've seen a bunch of 3D conversions from 2D. I have yet to recommend that any person should spend the extra money to see a conversion. Why? First, they're even darker than a movie shot in 3D. That's because the director of photography is shooting in 2D. He doesn't take into consideration the polarization the audience must endure to watch a 3D movie in the theater. You know, you wear the dark glasses and the projector throws less light. Second, the special effects usually don't mesh. That's because the director is not thinking in 3D. So, the special effects are not special. I still want my money back for watching The Last Airbender (2010) in 3D.

Paramount must take Trekkers for granted. Other studios pay the extra money to artists to shoot in 3D. Avatar. (2009) Hugo. (2011) As a Trekker, I guess we're not as good as the fans of Avatar. Shame on you Paramount, Bad Robot and director J.J. Abrams.

1 comment:

Computer Repair Sacramento said...

I tend to agree. I am a hard core Trekie fan, and while I love 3 D you just gotta quit messing with the classic stuff. It takes away from the wonder of it all http://www.callnerds.com/sacramento/