Thursday, August 1, 2013

I'll give Dads a chance

Fox is coming out with Dads. I'ts a sitcom created by Alec Sulkin and Wellesley Wild. It's co-produced by Seth MacFarlane. If those names don't sound familiar, they brought you the riotous movie comedy Ted. (2012) But Dads comes with some baggage as critics have savaged the pilot for racism when it comes to Asians.

I'm an Asian American male. Having dealt with racism my whole life, I can detect racism versus satire. Stephen Colbert can make funny Asian jokes but he does if from a view that is not trying to stereotype. He tries to make fun of racism. Archie Bunker in All in the Family played a prejudiced buffoon but the point was not to support his ignorance but to learn about how some white males treat minorities. If Dads is there to support some white male prejudicial stereotype about Asians then it's racist. If it pokes fun at Asians, but is not some type of system to support white male superiority then that's okay. If it makes fun of prejudice then even better. That's satire. I liked Ted so I'll give Dads a chace. Besides MacFarlane is a Trekker like myself.

Trailer for Dads.



No comments: