Friday, May 25, 2012

White men need another anthem

I go to bars here in Cincinnati. And it's inevitable that somebody will play the rock song, "Don't Stop Believin'" by Journey on the jukebox. It's likely going to be played by a drunk white male. When it comes on, you can bet he and his other drunk white male friends will sing along. Now imagine these guys think they can sing it, but instead they scream it. "Just a small town girl.... Don't stop believin'..." Sigh. Kill me now.

Look, this song is overplayed. It's overrated. It's square. Nothing much happening harmonically. It's all rock and roll power. Very conducive to angry white guys drunk on beer.

Here's another musical choice my drunk friends. I notice women like to dance to late Whitney Houston's "I Wanna Dance With Somebody." It's got a great dance beat. Makes you want to dance. Nice chord chances. Catchy hook. Give it try and dance with the ladies.


No comments: