Sunday, December 22, 2013

I'm going to boycott "Duck Dynasty."

I guess it's too much to ask a redneck to not be a bigot. Duck Dynasty's patriarch Phil Robertson let us see the real redneck. And guess what? He thinks homosexuality is like bestiality and that blacks were happier before civil rights legislation. Let's take a look at his comments to GQ. And I'll tell you why I plan to boycott Duck Dynasty.

1. The Anti-Gay Comments.

Here's what he said about gay men as reported by the Huffington Post.

“It seems like, to me, a vagina -- as a man -- would be more desirable than a man’s anus," Robertson told GQ. "That’s just me. I’m just thinking: There’s more there! She’s got more to offer. I mean, come on, dudes! You know what I’m saying? But hey, sin: It’s not logical, my man. It’s just not logical.”

Okay, not so bad. It's kind of funny. But then he shows his true nature and it ain't a lovin' Christian.

“Everything is blurred on what’s right and what’s wrong. Sin becomes fine," he later added. “Start with homosexual behavior and just morph out from there. Bestiality, sleeping around with this woman and that woman and that woman and those men. Don’t be deceived. Neither the adulterers, the idolaters, the male prostitutes, the homosexual offenders, the greedy, the drunkards, the slanderers, the swindlers -- they won’t inherit the kingdom of God. Don’t deceive yourself. It’s not right.”

Okay, the stuff about comparing homosexuality to bestiality ain't about loving your fellow man. It's hatred. Because homosexuality is not a deviant sexual practice. If Phil had remembered his high school education, he would know that gay men have helped build our western civilization. See the Greeks.

2. The Racial Comments.

Here's what Robertson had to say about blacks in the pre-civil-rights-era. From E Online.

"I never, with my eyes, saw the mistreatment of any black person," Robertson claims. "Not once. Where we lived was all farmers. The blacks worked for the farmers. I hoed cotten with them. I'm with the blacks, because we're white trash. ... They're singing and happy. I never heard one of them, one black person, say, 'I tell you what: These doggone white people'—not a word!... Pre-entitlement, pre-welfare, you say: Were they happy? They were godly; they were happy; no one was singing the blues."

This is either brain dead or the sign of a bigot. Blacks suffered under Jim Crow laws which disenfranchised them from being heard in the democratic process. So which is it Phil? Ignorance of black suffering or are you a real life Archie Bunker?

3. Free Speech and Sarah Palin

My muse, Sarah Palin defended Robertson and so did Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal. They used the First Amendment's Right of Free Speech as the basis. That's just ignorant. The First Amendment protects speech from government censorship. Robertson got to spew his prejudicial remarks freely. If Duck Dynasty's network A & E doesn't like it, they can act by suspending Robertson. And also defending Robertson was the Duck Dynasty clan. This went along the lines of saying Robertson was expressing his religious views. Well, if that's your view of Christianity, I'm not going to your church. We also find out that A & E doesn't really care about his comments since they're going to air new shows with Robertson this January.

4. The Boycott. Okay, now I'm going to exercise my First Amendment Rights. I'm not gong to watch Duck Dynasty again. And I'm going to avoid A & E's other programming to protest. I'm not going to support a bigot or the network that supports him.

No comments: