Wednesday, June 19, 2013

This Is the End review

I was bored so I decided to see a movie yesterday. I noticed that the movie, "This is the End", got good reviews over at Rotten Tomatoes. Now, I've always said that comedy is subjective or if I haven't, I just said it. But after seeing This Is the End, I was wondering if the critics that gave the movie a good review where smoking the wacky weed. And if they were, did they bring enough for the rest of use who had to see this movie?

Playing themselves, Jay Baruchel comes to Los Angeles to visit Seth Rogan. They decide to go over to James Franco's mansion for a party. There is a lot of drug use and general debauchery going on. And if it's a Hollywood party,  one would expect stars. And they're there. Emma Watson. Michael Cera. Rihanna. Mindy Kaling. Jonah Hill. Craig Robinson. Hold on. Who the f#$k is Craig Robinson? But I digress. During the party, the Apocalypse from the Book of Revelations happens. You know the one in the Bible. The rest of the movie is about how Baruchel, Rogen, Franco, Hill and Robinson struggle to survive in Franco's mansion. And for good measure, Danny McBride crashes the Apocalypse.

First, let me say I applaud the stars for making fun of themselves in unflattering ways. There seems to be a screenplay by Rogen and Evan Goldberg but the movie feels improvised. The problem with movie is the premise. The Biblical Apocalypse ain't funny. Demons and Satan are pretty bad at comedy. Okay, the guys at South Park can make Satan funny. But that's because they give the big red guy funny stuff to do. No such luck here. We're left with a script if one exists, that relies on the conflicts between the actors. Plus there is some unfunny stuff that they try to make funny. Okay, give them credit for boldness but gross gags such as the guys kicking around a bloody, freshly decapitated head did not make me erupt in laughter.

This Is the End is a bold comedy that needs more jokes. I would like to see it again high. But watching it sober left me glum. The grade is C Plus.

.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

this is Justin, you gotta go check IGN right now for further news on the xbox one.