Saturday, July 31, 2010

Hope for the New Green Lantern Movie


Okay, the news from Comic-Con and the Entertainment Weekly story about Green Lantern has rejuvenated my inner child. It's been some time since I've thought about Green Lantern since I read the comics. And recently seeing the excellent animated feature "Green Lantern: First Flight" has got me excited for the new movie coming out in 2011.

So far from what I can tell, the new movie has been cast well. Ryan Reynolds looks perfect as Hal Jordan aka the Green Lantern. (pictured right) The cast also includes Angela Bassett, Peter Sarsgaard, Mark Strong as Sinestro (remember him in Kick Ass?), the beautiful Blake Lively, and Oscar winner Timothy Robbins.


Now let's hope for some real aliens as the other Green Lanterns. And I mean some non-humanoid or at least ones that are clearly not human. There's the bear like Kilowog. One of the cool looking aliens part of the Green Lantern corps is Tomar Re. (pictured) I certainly hope to see these cool looking aliens in the new movie. The only one I am not enamored with is the squirrel like Green Lantern, Ch'p. He looks kind of ridiculous. If the movie needs comic relief, they can get some of that from Kilowog.

And if it's not in this movie, I hope to see the conflict between the fascist Sinestro and Hal Jordan. It would be a great theme to see Hal fight Sinestro's desire for power and his need to use to control the universe. This need to fight totalitarianism is reflected in Green Lantern's oath.

"In brightest day, in blackest night,
No evil shall escape my sight
Let those who worship evil's might,
Beware my power... Green Lantern's light!"

It's the part about fighting those who worship evil's might that reflects the Green Lantern Corps battle against fascism. Anyway, the oath gets my blood going. Let's hope the 2011 movie is a good one.

No comments: