Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Big Brother exposes hidden racism

I'm not a fan of reality television. I feel it's cheap and lacks imagination. That being said, the reality show Big Brother (CBS) has exposed something that has been driven underground in these modern times. I'm talking about racism.

In Big Brother, the cameras are on the contestants twenty four hours a day, seven days a week. The camera caught contestant Aaryn Gries saying this of Asian American Helen, "Dude,shut up, go make some rice." Later, contestant Gina Marie said this, "Andy was like, 'I'm gonna punch her in the face,' and I was like, 'Maybe that'll make her eyes straight.'"

I'm an Asian American. And I agree with host Julie Chen. Yes, she's right it takes us back to when we were children as Asian Americans. It's a time we were told we were different. Yes, Asians eat rice. But we know why these comments are made. They're designed to make the Asian, a lesser human being. They're not made as compliments. And of course, the making an Asian's eyes straight is blatant insult by trying to show Asians are not as good as white people. It's clearly racist.

So what did Big Brother teach us about society? The two contestants are young. They're not old with old ideas. It means something that every minority has known when living in America today. Racism still exists.

No comments: